Effective Jan 2020, Windows 7 will no longer be supported.
With Windows 7 approaching the end of support you must migrate to Windows 10. Microsoft announced that they are stopping mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020. Windows 7 is now more than nine years old and is more than two and a half versions behind Windows 10. So, without a doubt, it’s time to migrate to Windows 10.
What Happens If We Don’t Migrate To Windows 10?
If you don’t migrate, you won’t get bug fixes or security updates from Microsoft. Over time, the security and reliability of Windows 7 will make your computers vulnerable:
- Your computers could be infected by malware,
- Your antivirus won’t be updated,
- Your online banking transaction protection may expire, and
- Your financial data could be exposed to theft.
Plus, computer manufacturers will no longer support Windows 7. This means things like printers, desktops, laptops and more won’t be guaranteed to work as they should. Your security programs and third-party browsers won’t support Windows 7. When you browse the Web, you could be exposed to cyber threats. All of this will take place over time.
What Are The Benefits Of Upgrading From Windows 7 To Windows 10?
Upgrading to Windows 10:
- Makes computers run smoother and faster.
- Provides a more economical use of memory and disk space.
- Improves security.
- Boots up your computer from sleep mode faster than before.
- Provides many other benefits.
You can also benefit from features that Windows 7 doesn’t provide:
- Use Cortana – a personal assistant that runs on artificial intelligence (AI).
- Search the Web right from your desktop.
- Get reminders based on time, places, or people.
- Quickly add a virtual desktop.
- With Windows Apps new applications are available on all of your devices.
- A brand new browser – Edge – that’s better suited to the modern web.
- Track packages, teams, interests, and flights.
- Create and manage lists.
- Chit chat and play games.
- Find facts, files, places, and info fast.
- Open any app on your system.
With Windows 10’s new application programming interface called Windows RunTime, your Windows Store Apps are remotely installed and updated. They can also be cleanly uninstalled.
There are RunTime apps for Mail, Photos, Maps, Calendar, Groove Music and more. And you can easily download any of the 700,000 applications from the Windows Store.
How Long Will It Take To Upgrade To Windows 10?
This depends on the age of your computers and how they are configured. It should only take an hour to do after you’ve downloaded the operating system. New devices upgrade much faster.
How Do You Migrate From Windows 7 To Windows 10?
You need a plan. Moving all of your employees from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is no small feat. To some, Windows 10 can be frustrating due to all of its security improvements and operating system enhancements. It may crash from time to time, especially if you don’t migrate to it properly. It’s always best to contact your IT service provider for help with your migration and to make sure everything is set up properly.
Before you migrate, these are some of the things you should consider?
- Which release should you choose? Windows 10 is different than previous versions. Microsoft is servicing more now than ever before with patches, patch rollups, security-only rollups, quality-only rollups, security plus quality rollups, semi-annual channels, long-term servicing channels, and more. Understanding which Windows 10 release to use is an important consideration.
- How will you manage the update cycle? Decide how you’ll set Windows 10 automated management tools to create updated rings, control membership of machines in those rings, and how to defer feature upgrades so you can maintain a practical, supported update pace.
- Will your applications be compatible with Windows 10? Most versions of popular software applications are safe to use with Windows 10. However, if you use internally developed software and web applications, these might not be compatible with Windows 10 clients. It’s important that you perform compatibility testing before you migrate.
- Should you train your employees on Windows 10? About 70% of the Windows 10 interface is similar to Window 7. But the last 30% is what can cause problems for some. And this is especially so when using wireless networks, joining domains, setting locations for the control panel, attendant searching and using the Start Menu.
How Long Will It Take To Migrate To Windows 10?
This depends on the age of your computers and how they are configured. It should only take an hour to do after you’ve downloaded the operating system. New devices upgrade much faster. This is why you might want to consider getting new computers if yours are four years old or older. In this case, the new computer will already have the Windows 10 operating system installed.
Contact the team at CTECH Consulting Group. We can answer your questions about Windows 10 and other Microsoft products. We provide expert computer services and IT network support for businesses in Calgary.
If you found this article helpful, we have many more in Our Blog.