The Microsoft Modern Workplace: What Is It?
You’ve probably heard the phrase “modern workplace” more and more recently. Do you know what it means, and what the Microsoft Modern Workplace offers you?
If you’re reading this article, you’re probably not 100% sure what Microsoft’s modern workplace is. It’s a term lots of people are throwing around these days, but it’s not exactly clear what they mean.
A recent study in the Harvard Business Review found that:
- 78% of senior executives in enterprise businesses believe fostering a modern workplace strategy is essential
- Only 31% think their company is forward-thinking enough to do so.
Whether you’re unsure what they’re talking about or are worried you’re not developing a modern workplace for your team, I can help. In this article, I’ll explain what the general concept of the modern workplace is, and explore Microsoft’s Modern Workplace application.
What Is The Modern Workplace
Some people may use this term to refer to the culture popularized by Google over the past decade. You know, the Silicon Valley companies that have nap areas, ping pong tables, and flexible cowork spaces. It’s more like a campus than an office, and it’s designed to encourage employees not just to work there, but to live there as well.
However, in this case, we’re talking about the virtual, cloud-based workplace that many businesses are choosing over traditional IT systems. Microsoft 365, and other online work platforms that provide all the applications, storage and communication solutions a team needs to get their work done from wherever they have an Internet connection.
For the purposes of this article, we’ll be exploring the second definition further. Understanding how a cloud-based workspace operates will help you consider it’s potential for you and your team.
Why Are Businesses Using The Modern Workplace?
There are a number of reasons to move your workspace into the virtual space. By transitioning your data and apps off-premise through the cloud, you can get the freedom to clean out your server rooms and gain a number of key advantages:
- Reducing Hardware: One of the key benefits of the cloud is how it allows businesses to get rid of their onsite servers. This allows businesses to reduce the money they spend on office space.
- Fewer Expenses: By outsourcing your infrastructure to a third-party, you offload a range of management expenses to them. Utilities like power and cooling, and continuity expenses for liability are all paid by them — you just pay a simple monthly fee.
- Comprehensive Dematerialization: The cloud offers a number of ways to substitute virtual options for their conventional equivalents. Whether it’s by storing data and apps offsite in a data center, accessing work at home instead of driving to the office, or by using VoIP and video chat to conduct meetings instead of travelling there in person, businesses can save money and reduce carbon emissions with modern cloud technologies.
What Does The Microsoft Modern Workspace Offer?
- Automation: Power Automate allows you to automate tedious and repetitive tasks throughout the Microsoft 365 ecosystem using Digital and Robotic Process Automation.
- Collaboration: A range of Microsoft apps such as Teams and SharePoint help to foster collaboration among your team members no matter where they’re working from. By operating entirely within a Microsoft-based environment, you benefit from seamless integration between its many apps.
- Security: Microsoft’s security stack helps to defend against malware, phishing, and zero-day attacks.
Is The Microsoft Modern Workplace Right For You?
It depends – if you’re a small business with a simple organization and small team, you may not need to bother with a cloud-based workspace. If everything you do happens on-premises between a few people, then there may not be the need to provide remote access to data and communication tools.
On the other hand, if you have a larger team operating remotely or on the go, the modern workplace will do a lot to improve your productivity. A cloud-based environment is where you and your staff can meet, communicate and work in a shared virtual space instead of a conventional office.
CTECH Will Assist You With The Microsoft Modern Workplace
It’s never been easier to start moving your business to the modern workplace, and the benefits are clear: save yourself money that you’d otherwise spend to maintain a server room by transitioning to a cloud environment.
If you haven’t started using a modern workplace solution yet and want to know more, get in touch with the CTECH team to get started:
- Schedule a free Microsoft consultation at a time that works for you.
- Tell us what you need from your IT, and why you’re interested in the Microsoft Modern Workplace.
- Let us manage your migration from end to end while you focus on your work.
- Enjoy the advantages of working in the modern workplace.
My passion is to make my mark on the world in a positive and lasting way. I want to set an example for my son that his father can compete with integrity in today’s world, be very successful, and leave the world a better place for him.
Combining my technical/business-based education with a long career steadily progressing up the corporate ladder, I decided to build a company that held true to my values. So, I founded and designed the next generation of IT support firm: CTECH Consulting Group Inc. We are a completely automated, cloud-based IT company designed to compete against any other IT firm without the overhead. We promote a lifestyle to all our staff where they can work anywhere, at any time, access any information on any device that is relevant to their job, and collaborate with anyone they want to.