Microsoft Teams Customization Enhances Work-From-Home Professionalism
The notion of professionalism in corporate environments cannot be quantified. No accounting staffer can take out a pocket calculator and do the math on an employee’s level of professionalism.
Business attire, cards, courtesy, as well as a clear and articulate speaking manner typically support the idea of professionalism. In some ways, it remains a subjective measure. But on the other hand, we all know what fails to meet the standard when we see it. And that’s a significant issue new work-from-home staff members often struggle with during videoconferencing.
Because remote workforces generally do not consider the home office on the same professional level as a brick-and-mortar facility, clutter, children’s toys, and half of a sandwich on a paper plate with an accompanying beverage end up part of your client’s visual experience. Fortunately, Microsoft Teams has customization technology to eliminate those less than professional perceptions.
Microsoft Teams Background Customization
Remote professionals no longer have to tidy up home offices or contrive a background that offers the appearance of state-of-the-art office space. Microsoft Teams provides distinct background customization features that accomplish that feat for users.
The first option is simply to leverage the background blur option in Teams meetings. The feature focuses on an image and blurs it into an ambiguous background. Meeting participants won’t seem random and distracting clutter. There will be no way to determine your location at all visually.
The second option involves setting a stylized background image. Much like everyday people do with desktop and electronic device screens, Microsoft Teams allows users to select a specific image. Remote workers have the following three options in the “Show Background Effects” menu bar.
- None: This option leaves the background completely blank.
- Blur: This option makes the background nondescript.
- Curated Images: Microsoft offers clean, professional-level images to set as your meeting background.
- Custom Images: Microsoft is reportedly rolling out an option for users to upload images of their choice to set as videoconferencing backgrounds.
When utilizing Microsoft Teams Meetings, it’s important to remember that the platform may not allow you to set a default image. Background settings can be preset for scheduled meetings or changed during the call. However, users are tasked with either setting one each time or having the boss see what you are having for lunch.
Microsoft Teams Rooms Tools
Harnessing the ability to create select backgrounds deftly resolves the issue that users are immersed in a less than professional space. But Microsoft Teams aims at augmenting conferencing by rolling out a wide range of tools. These include the following.
- Whiteboards: A digital canvas allows participants to collaborate by adding notes and content directly to the virtual whiteboard.
- Live Captions: Hearing impaired participants can follow via close captions.
- Private Channels: Users can customize a channel for a specific group and synch files. This feature eliminates the need to create a digital meeting space repeatedly.
- Admin Controls: The Data Loss Prevention (DLP) option empowers administrators to detect and secure sensitive information from being leaked through digital conferencing and chats. DLP delivers an essential cybersecurity measure.
- Live Events: Major events can be leveraged in Microsoft 365. The platform allows up to 10,000 real-time participants. This feature opens the door to running professional conferences online.
Microsoft Teams was reportedly launched in 2017. In two years, the popular business platform attracted upwards of 500,000 organizations, including 91 in the Fortune 500. Now in its third year, Teams reportedly enjoys 44 million active users and 900 million meeting minutes daily, according to Forbes.
Microsoft Teams has emerged as the industry-leading platform for remote workforces primarily because it delivers enhanced professionalism through subtle tools such as background customization.
My passion is to make my mark on the world in a positive and lasting way. I want to set an example for my son that his father can compete with integrity in today’s world, be very successful, and leave the world a better place for him.
Combining my technical/business-based education with a long career steadily progressing up the corporate ladder, I decided to build a company that held true to my values. So, I founded and designed the next generation of IT support firm: CTECH Consulting Group Inc. We are a completely automated, cloud-based IT company designed to compete against any other IT firm without the overhead. We promote a lifestyle to all our staff where they can work anywhere, at any time, access any information on any device that is relevant to their job, and collaborate with anyone they want to.