Do You Have An iPhone? Are You Going To Upgrade Your iOS Soon?
Apple’s iOS is updated often, and many times there’s debate about whether you should stick with what you’ve got, or move up to the newest software. Obviously Apple encourages users to upgrade to their latest output, but do you really know what the difference is? Here’s a quick guide to help you make the decision.
Security Fixes are Crucial
A major reason behind constant updates is so that Apple can deploy fixes for bugs and patches for security vulnerabilities that have been discovered in previous software. So, as usual, iOS 8.2 has corrected many errors that could be extremely important and help to keep your device or devices protected once you upgrade.
- CoreTelephony – Allowed a remote attacker to cause a device to unexpectedly restart. The issue was addressed with iOS 8.2 through improved message validation.
- iCloud Keychain – Gave attackers with a privileged network position the ability to execute arbitrary code. These issues were addressed through improved bounds checking.
- MobileStorageMounter – A malicious application which is able to create folders in trusted locations in your system. An issue was found which resulted in invalid disk image folders not being deleted. This was addressed through improved error handling.
- Secure Transport – An attacker with a privileged network position could intercept users SSL/TLS connections. This issue, commonly referred to as FREAK, affected connections to servers which support export-strength RSA cipher suites. It was fixed by removing support for temporary RSA keys.
Not Everything Has Been Fixed…
- One of the most high profile bugs in iOS 8 has not been fixed with 8.2. A huge topic of contention on Apple Support Communities is what’s being called the ‘WiFried’ issue. It causes phones to drop wireless connections or refuse to connect to Wi-Fi networks. It has also resulted in huge battery drains, killing some devices in just 4-6 hours.
Though perhaps not every known issue has been addressed, it’s still a good idea to protect yourself by getting the latest patches and fixes. Your security is essential especially when your device is storing and viewing so much sensitive and private data.
To get more of the latest technology and security news, contact CTECH Consulting Group at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (403) 457-1478.
My passion is to make my mark on the world in a positive and lasting way. I want to set an example for my son that his father can compete with integrity in today’s world, be very successful, and leave the world a better place for him.
Combining my technical/business-based education with a long career steadily progressing up the corporate ladder, I decided to build a company that held true to my values. So, I founded and designed the next generation of IT support firm: CTECH Consulting Group Inc. We are a completely automated, cloud-based IT company designed to compete against any other IT firm without the overhead. We promote a lifestyle to all our staff where they can work anywhere, at any time, access any information on any device that is relevant to their job, and collaborate with anyone they want to.